Minutes March 2019 SRG General Meeting
March 6, 2019
American Legion Hall Post 422
The meeting was called to order at 7:04 by President Scott Plackemeier.
Officers and Directors in Attendance: Neil Putz, Luanne Denten, Christopher Schwarz, Wade Weistreich, John Durnell, Scott Plackemeier, Billy Tomber
Officers and Directors Absent: Beth Bennett, Stephen Schuman
Aldermen Present: Dan Guenther, Jack Coatar
New Member Introduction
Welcome new members/guests!
Police Report (Officer Sherdon Douglas)
· 18 total crimes
· 2 robbery
· 9 larceny
· 1 aggravated assault
· 6 theft
SRG Board Elections – April 3, 2019
· Open positions include two directors, president elect, secretary, treasurer
· Elections will take place at end of April General Membership Meeting
· Nominations can happen at any time up until a few days before
· Floor is open for nominations. At time of meeting, nominations were as follows
o John Durnell, Beth Hoops, Dave Perry nominated for director positions
o Neil Putz nominated for President elect
o Megan Gooch nominated for secretary
General Meeting Location Discussion
· Although low attendance tonight, time to discuss a larger meeting place.
· Chris Schwarz has been a big help in setting up seats and closing bar, accommodating the needs brought up at board meeting.
· Discussion- Look into MGI being able to accommodate us as previously planned?
Historic Signage Program Update and Discussion
· Lots of talk about the project, the project is paused while issues are addressed (think of it as a recall)
· Signs on poles were removed prior to Mardi Gras for safety concerns while other issues are being addressed (sharp corners and long bolts)
o What about contracts? Luanne- historic license agreement is just an agreement to put sign on house; presented multiple times via Nextdoor, Blaster, Renaissance. Agreement drafted by lawyer, full presentation at budget meeting, signage reception had another presentation, re-reviewed by 2 additional lawyers. This is a new project, working out kinks as we go, sorry for glitches, but committee is working on them.
o Great idea and as a group we will come up with solution.
o Some members had issue with the way the signs look, sun makes signs unreadable, don’t fit into the neighborhood, etc.
o 6 bids were obtained, sign prototypes were available for viewing before being installed
o When asked, Chair Denten answered that she was amenable to a future meeting dedicated to addressing this specific issue
Treasurer’s Report (Chris Schwarz)
· Recently received grant from Metropolitan Sewer District for Sidney Triangle Project
· Waiting for final count, but Vices and Virtues did make money
· Board recently allocated $5000 to trash program with St. Peter and Paul
· Wade moved to approve, Mark seconded. Motion passes
February General Meeting Minutes
· Ron moved to approve Minutes, John seconded
SRG Committee Reports
Soulard Station (Neil Putz/Tracey Laxton)
· Utilities- electric, sewer, water, trash
· Trying to figure out better waste management system, lots of money going towards trash
· Working on replacing door and mailbox
· More info on solar panels coming soon
Safety (Sergio Sevillano)
Membership (Julie Price)
· Membership Drive is May 1st at Mad Art Gallery
· Looking for someone to take photos, any volunteers?
· If you have photos of SRG events past to present, send to Julie for slideshow- Comm Comm has dropbox of photos to share!
· STAR awards are next month
· Social tonight at The Doghaus, thanks for hosting!
Beautification (Richard Eaton)
· Work in Pontiac Square Park with Howard University students next week
· Next month students from SLU will help with clean up
· Please come if you want to volunteer 9-12!
Res Promo (Luanne Denten)
· Meets second Tuesday of every month, please come! Open meetings to all
· VandV was amazing, new space was great, still waiting to hear about profit from VandV
· Thanks to all who joined in on Fat Tuesday Stroll it was fun!
Comm Comm (Billy Tomber)
· Expanding membership and scope of what committee is doing
· Taking communication audit of members to see where members get their information from
· Shouldn’t take more than 10 minutes to complete
· We are cheerleaders of Soulard! Send good news to firstname.lastname@example.org
· Communication protocol voted on at last board meeting to help members recognize official communication from official members
· Expansion on social media thanks to Beth hoops!
PRT/Code and Zoning (Jay Gibbs)
· Main project is New Construction and Rehab Star Awards for projects completed in the neighborhood
· Twisted Ranch mural- exceeds size of what we allow, can’t be more than 10% of size of building. Brick is not always allowed to be painted on, and it was done without permit
· Twisted Ranch awning is also an issue
· At this time, this is between the city and the business
· Reminder: SRG and Committees advise, city rules
Fundraising (Christopher Schwarz)
· Go Marathon April 7, still determining if that will be a fundraising event
· Soulard Concert Series kicking off May 11 with Patti & The Hitmen
· Full lineup coming next meeting
Legion (Christopher Schwarz)
· Bill unable to make meetings
· Mardi Gras helped raise funds for Legion
· This Friday is first fish fry 5-8 March 8, March 22, April 5 (fish tacos), April 19, first happy hour will be May 17
· Some of the trash is frozen under ice and snow, call MGI if you notice problem areas
· Trash team is on site until the job is done
· Concerns about Mardi Gras? Attend the open house forum at MGI Office on Thursday, April 11
· Thank you to all Mardi Gras volunteers participants!
· Suggest we hold a forum to future candidates to formally address the SRG
· Clarified that we allow politicians to attend meetings as guests and don’t allow campaigning and such until end of meeting
· Girl Scouts participating in April Showers (personal care items to homeless shelters)
· Donate new bottles of personal care items, bags will be tied onto doors which will list items needed
Motion to adjourn by Allison, seconded by Julie. Meeting adjourned at 8:32 p.m.