June 2014 Board Meeting

SRG Board Meeting

June 18, 2014

Meeting started at 7:04 PM

In Attendance:  Jeremy Mehrle, Jackie Parker, Macy Mehrle, Luann Denten, Beth Bennett, Nancy Kelly, Sean Cochran, Michael Pastore, Jill Weissgerber, Alicia Stellhorn

Guests: Pat Reiner from R-Space Gallery and artist Uriel Starbuck to discuss proposal for SRG outdoor space

Dee Baebler to discuss use of SRG non-profit status to operate a September art fair at Soulard Market Park.

Vickie Morris, Tony Range, and George Grove to hear and comment on outdoor space proposal


  1. Treasurer’s Report
    1. Treasurer handed out SRG P&L
      1. $534.85 in red, did not balance budget this year
      2. tap n run money still coming in
      3. Motion to approve the treasurer’s report- unanimously passed
  2. Old Business
    1. Progress to date on Pontiac Park Fence installation
      1. Getting 3 bids on concrete pour, pending approval by BPS and Cultural Resources
    2. Tap n’ Run complaints update
      1. All complaints were addressed and have received no further complaints or requests
    3. Mic status for monthly meetings
      1. Jeremy presented the board with his findings on a useful mic for general meetings. 
  3. New Business
    1. Butterfly Garden
      1. Pat Reiner from R-Space gallery would like to  provide public works of art to enhance the Soulard neighborhood, targeting pontiac park, wants to place 7 different “stations” educating about the monarch butterfly including butterfly sculpture, caterpillar sculpture, metal Arch with butterflies which would cascade butterflies on the ground
      2. not asking residents to fund anything, will go get public or private funding for projects
      3. This proposal was looked upon favorably as a butterfly garden was already in plans for pontiac park, models are beautifully hand crafted and artist Uriel Starbuck has examples of beautiful existing work.
    2. Art Fair at Market Park
      1. Dee Baebler came to meeting to discuss Soulard Art Fair at Market Park. She is requesting our non-profit status to promote the fair. 
      2. Motion passed  for this year to allow Dee Baebler and the Art Fair to use our 501 for their event with zero liability on our part, Soulard artists to be invited, for SRG to gain all profits, subsequent to review of the budget and verification of involvement with Joanie, Phyllis, and Ann Chance- Motion passed with a vote of 9 yes, 1 no
    3. Update on SBA position on use of MGF funds for cameras 
      1. Alder people are looking at a bill funding cameras for the city of st. louis
      2. Requests need to be in by beginning of July
      3. Jackie is going to write Grant Proposal, Bill Clendenin has also offered to write a grant proposal
    4. Discussion of board position regarding an MGI event
      1. Motion to support MGI and MGF in running the AB Oktoberfest festival at Union Station, regardless of name- unanimously approved
  4. Committee reports
    1. Beautification
      1. no report
    2. Code & Zoning
      1. Good Luck Bar and Grill is looking to put up a tent temporarily while he gathers money to build a permanent structure.
    3. Communications
      1. Jon Butler appointed Jeremy Mehrle head of Comm Comm
      2. Soulard.org redesign-new website will be live on Sunday
      3. $75 bill a month for security dropped down to $15 a month 
    4. Fundraising
      1. no report
    5. Membership
      1. new member social was a great success, very low cost, great turnout, many committees showed up
    6. Residential Promotion
      1. 55 people showed up at potluck in pontiac park
      2. Bastille Days coming up at Franco’s, July 13th at 7 PM
    7. Safety
      1. no report


Meeting adjourned at 9:32 PM