SRG board meeting

November 2014 Board Meeting Minutes

SRG Board Meeting Minutes

Wednesday, Nov. 12, 2014 at Soulard Station

Meeting started at 6:59 p.m.

Members present: Nancy Kelly, Beth Bennett, Sean Cochran, Luann Denten, Jackie Parker, Steve Parker, Jill Weissgerber, Mike Ziemann.

Members absent: Jeremy Mehrle, Michael Pastore, Alicia Stellhorn

Guest: Lisa Otke of the Soulard Special Business District.

Lisa Otke noted that a direct phone call had been placed by Board members to GCI Security the day of the Pontiac Park fence installation (Saturday Nov. 1.) She said that people, including Board members, shouldn’t contact GCI directly. Several Board members said the situation had been somewhat urgent, with fence panels left on the ground overnight where they might be susceptible to theft. Nonetheless, Otke said, the call should have been placed to her or one of the other taxing district commissioners – Jack Coatar, Sue Ames, Mary Bander, Lynn Suydam and Cathy Weldon. (Note: The fence was officially installed on Nov. 2.)

 

Treasurer’s Report: The report that would have been submitted at the Nov. 5 General Meeting was submitted and approved.

Old Business:

Updates by Nancy Kelly:

She agreed that the cabstand situation as described by Mike Ziemann at the October Board meeting was an accurate depiction. She has been unable to contact Ron Klein to discuss.

Homes currently on the Parlour Tour were identified and Board members were urged to volunteer.

(This led to a general discussion about the planning of this year’s Parlour Tour. Jackie Parker suggested that more communication takes place between the Parlour Tour Committee and the SRG Board and SRG general membership. Mike Ziemann said he thought that the request for volunteer signups had been late in going out. Nancy Kelly and Sean Cochran replied that the “science of signups” is inexact, and that what’s too early and what’s too late is difficult to determine.)

The Dec. 17 SRG Board Meeting will be held at Franco’s. The dinner meeting is for Board members only, not spouses or significant others.

New Business:

Luann Denten reported that 20 of 25 tables for the Jan. 31 Vices & Virtues ball had been sold. Mike Ziemann questioned the wisdom of “buying” a table for the SRG Board with Board monies, given that the event is likely to sell out. He questioned why we would have a zero-sum transaction, that would reduce overall event revenue.  Luann Denten said the event wouldn’t be advertised until after Thanksgiving. (Note: Since the meeting, the event has sold out.)

Competitive runs in Soulard:

Nancy Kelly said she had not heard back from Ann Chance, the city’s Director of Special Events, on the matter.  Jill Weissgerber relayed reports that police officers had been “unkind” at the Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon. Nancy Kelly wondered if we should have a subcommittee look at the issue of runs in the neighborhood. Jill Weissgerber said that anyone who applies for race permits should have to notify the Board at that time of any street closures involved. It was suggested that we might have greater success in discussing the matter with Ann Chance’s assistant. Luann Denten suggested we talk with Billy Tomber and Rick Dungey to learn more about the running and biking companies that hold events in Soulard. We could then have the companies meet with the Board to let them know we want information and want input on runs. Such events are welcome, she said, but must benefit the neighborhood.  Sean Cochran wondered why we have a strong role in the Tap ‘N’ Run, and Jackie Parker noted that we supply the liquor license. She added that Billy Tomber’s relationship with Big River Running gives us added voice with their events. We again discussed the need for advance notice about street closures and no parking zones. Steve Parker asked if we should have a Board subcommittee with Tomber and Dungey among the members. Luann Denten suggested we first repeat our efforts with Ann Chance. Jackie Parker said she would send a letter to GO! about the Halloween race that went through the neighborhood without advance notice. She said the matter overall was one the Fundraising Committee would handle.

Mardi Gras Parade Route

The MGI Board held a special meeting regarding a proposal that the route of the Mardi Gras Parade be changed so that it goes by Ballpark Village. They voted to keep the 2015 route the same as it has been in recent years. Tim Lorson and Mack Bradley will come to the Dec. 3 SRG General Membership Meeting. It was noted that neither is a member of SRG.  Beth Bennett said that MGI uses the liquor license at other Mardi Gras events. Jackie Parker says we can get more information on MGI finances through the service Guidestar. Nancy Kelly said the MGI Board is scheduled to meet Dec. 4. Sean Cochran urged that we give Lorson and Bradley a heads-up that there will be many questions at the Dec. 3 SRG General Membership Meeting.

 

 

Committee Reports:

Fundraising: Smarty Gras is Jan. 17 at the Franklin Room. The Renaissance will be delivered the Friday and Saturday after Thanksgiving. The next edition will be the Mardi Gras edition. The Blaster has strong viewership numbers, and now links to the SRG Meeting minutes.

Code and Zoning:

AT&T still says the Star’s explosion was not their fault.

Safety Committee:

Committee has three new members and attributes the increase to increased awareness brought about by NextDoor Soulard. David Simmons will work with Bill Clendenin and Christina Coleman on surveillance cameras.

Residential Promotion:

Afghan is being produced and will sell for less than $50.

Five quotes have been received on the entry marker project. Vote on them may come at January Board Meeting. Mardi Gras Foundation wants input.

First order for Soulard-themed merchandise is in. Hopefully, it will be available for purchase at the Parlour Tour. Nancy Kelly suggested the Blaster have a link for buying Soulard merchandise.

Vices & Virtues ball will have a costume contest. Five tables will be broken down after dinner to make room for dancing.

Beautification:

Pontiac Park panels are done.

Eight trees were planted today at the small park at Gravois and 13th.

Board members were encouraged to follow the Beautification Committee on Facebook.

Meeting adjourned at 8:46 p.m.

October 2014 Board Meeting Minutes

SRG Board Minutes Wednesday, Oct. 22, 2014

Meeting started at 7:04 p.m.

Present: Beth Bennett, Luann Denten, Nancy Kelly, Jeremy Mehrle, Jackie Parker, Steve Parker, Michael Pastore, Alicia Stellhorn and Mike Ziemann
Absent: Sean Cochran, Jill Weissgerber

GUESTS
Ryan Carter, prospective buyer of building in the 2200 block of South 12th Street, to discuss plans for the building.
Carter represented himself and Mark Seyer, his partner at Touchstone Transportation, which was founded in 2008.  He said that he had a contract on 2207 South 12th Street and that the purchase was his first time buying a commercial building. He said that Alderman Phyllis Young was willing to write a letter of recommendation for an occupancy permit but that she wanted the SRG Board to endorse the project as well.
Carter presented the Board an 8-page report.
He said that his business would not occupy the entire building, and that he hoped to block off the front and eventually rent it out as office space. He said he was willing to commit that no more than four vehicles would be stored in the building or lot.  Carter said that neighbors of the building that he had talked to were “good with it.” He pledged that his drivers would not idle in the neighborhood, nor drive around soliciting business.
Luann Denten moved that we write an endorsement letter with the stipulation that no more than four vehicles be parked there.  Michael Pastore seconded. Motion approved unanimously.

TREASURER’S REPORT

  1. Alicia Stellhorn noted that art auction final totals were not included in the report.
  2. A suggestion was made that the line item “Special Projects” be more clearly identified as the “Fence Project.” Nancy Kelly will discuss the dollar amount with Linda Kurdi. Beth Bennett noted that this is not a Beautification Committee project even though they are handling it.
  3. It was requested that the minutes include this question regarding the P&L statement: If rentals under Soulard Station Expenses total $1,063 and income for rentals is $284.16, “what are we renting that we aren’t charging for?”
  4. Jeremy Mehrle moved to accept the Treasurer’s Report. Michael Pastore seconded. Motion approved unanimously.

WELCOME

Steve Parker was welcomed as new Board secretary.

OLD BUSINESS

  1. New resident circulars have been delayed.
  2. An update on the volume of music events Soulard Station will be given later.
  3. The date of the next Board meeting was switched to Nov. 12 from Nov. 19 because of a conflict in some Board members’ plans. As a result, Alicia Stellhorn said checks would be issued Nov. 10.
  4. Ideas were shared on using SRG monies:
    1. Luann Denten said money might be used for the entry marker project. Estimates have been sought, and two have come back in the $2,500 range per marker. On Thursday, Nov. 20, four designs of metal markers will be shown to the public at Soulard Station.

    2. Beth Bennett suggested that money be used to purchase a pilot security camera for either 12th Street and Russell Boulevard or Seventh Street and Russell. Police would handle monitoring them. It was stated that such cameras cost about $10,000, but another member said prices had dropped to the $3,000 to $4,000 range.

    3. Beth Bennett said money might be used for a fence and gate around the Soulard Market bandstand. Pricing will be investigated.

    4. A suggestion that money be used for historic street lights was met with a discouraging price estimate of $300,000 a city block.
     
  5.  Taxi stands: Mike Ziemann says that cabdrivers aren’t using the stands, and that cabdrivers he has talked to seem unaware that they were supposed to use them and unwilling to move their cabs when he informed them of the policy.  Nancy Kelly suggested we talk to Officer Brian Min and Lisa Otke to make sure police patrols are cognizant that cabs should be using the stands. She said the Taxi Cab Commission told her that it couldn’t enforce the policy. Others said police have more important duties than enforcing cab stands. Alicia Stellhorn noted that cabdrivers comply in some other commercial areas with cabstands, and that drivers there would refuse a fare from someone not going to the first cab. Nancy Kelly said she would talk with Ron Klein to clarify the situation.

NEW BUSINESS

  1. Property at Utah and South Ninth Street. Alicia Stellhorn moved that we get a quitclaim deed on this small SRG-owned property and grant it to the owner of the abutting property. Michael Pastore seconded. Motion approved unanimously.
  2. The SRG Board will hold its December meeting over dinner at a neighborhood restaurant.

COMMITTEE REPORTS

  1. FUNDRAISING: 
    Jackie Parker said that Rick Dungey reports that Soulard Oktoberfest should generate about $5,000 for SRG.
     
  2. COMMUNICATIONS:
    The deadline for the Parlour Tour edition of the Renaissance is Nov. 13. Distribution should occur the Friday and Saturday after Thanksgiving. All articles from the most recent Renaissance are online.
     
  3. CODE & ZONING: No report.
     
  4. SAFETY: No report.
     
  5. BEAUTIFICATION:
    1. Dedication of the Pontiac Park fence project is scheduled for Nov. 1. Volunteers are sought to hold the gates as they are being welded into place.
    2. A Brightside Grant has been received for plants at the small triangle at South 13th Street and Gravois. It was suggested that nothing be planted close to Gravois to avoid blocking the vision of motorists at a tricky turn.
    3. Beth Bennett is now coordinating streetside pots.
    4. Ticket sales for Vices and Virtues fundraiser Jan. 31 at the Mad Art Gallery are going well.
     
  6. RESIDENTIAL PROMOTION:
    1. Local hour will be held at 5 p.m. Nov. 13 at the Good Luck Bar.          
    2. Estimates were sought from six apparel producers for Soulard merchandise. Banker’s Advertising appears to offer the best deal. We will take order for ball caps, hoodies, T-shirts, fleeces, nylon coats. Items will not be kept on inventory. Some items, however, probably will be offered for sale at the Soulard Parlour Tour.          
    3. A discussion was held about the relationship of the SRG and SBA.

ADJOURNMENT
Michael Pastore moved that the meeting be adjourned. Luann Denten seconded. Motion approved unanimously. Meeting adjourned at 9:15 p.m.